Apple Oatmeal Muffins
Living in New York, fall is marked by the arrival of the beautiful locally grown apples in the supermarkets. There are so many amazing recipes to make with fresh apples, but these muffins are one of my favorite. These muffins are sweet enough to be considered a treat, yet hearty enough to power you through a busy morning. I hope you will give this recipe a try!
Prep Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 60-70 minutes Serves: 11
1 tbs flax seeds
2 tbs water
2 cups blended rolled oats
1 cup whole rolled oats
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
1 cup grated carrot (about 2 medium carrots)
1 cup grated apple (about 1 medium apple)
1 cup diced apple (about 1 medium apple)
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make your flax egg by combining flax seed and water in a small bowl. Stir until combined, then set aside.
- Add 2 cups of your rolled oats to a food processor or blender. Process on high until a flour like consistency has formed.
- Add the 2 cups processed oats, and remaining 1 cup whole oats to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg (optional) to the bowl and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Grate your 2 medium carrots.
- Grate one of your apples, and chop the other into 1/4 inch cubes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine your grated carrot, grated apple, apple sauce, maple syrup, vanilla extract and the flax egg you prepared earlier.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Scoop the batter into a greased muffin pan.
- Top the muffins with the diced apple. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Serve with some vegan butter and a warm mug of tea for a delicious fall breakfast!