Easy Mushroom Dumplings
Anyone who knows me knows that I love sushi and chinese takeout restaurants. One of my favorite things to order has always been panfried dumplings to share with my family. Since going vegan, I have tried numerous varieties of vegetable dumplings, but my favorite ones have been mushroom based. This is my recipe for easy marvelous mushroom dumplings. I designed this recipe to be simple, and use ingredients that many people may already have around the house. You can use almost any type of mushrooms you have access to, and you could substitute white or yellow onion if you don’t have access to green onions. These easy dumplings make an amazing appetizer to share with friends, or can be added to a bowl of vegan ramen or fried rice. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Prep time: 20-30 minutes Total Time: 30-40 minutes Serves: 2
1/5 block tofu (firm or extra firm)
1 green onion
2 cups mushrooms (5-6 large mushrooms)
1 tsp minced garlic (about 1 clove)
1.5 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp mushroom powder (optional)
1 package dumpling wrappers
- Press one block of tofu for 10-20 minutes.
- While the tofu is pressing mince the green onion and set aside.
- Mince the mushrooms and set them in a large bowl.
- Crumble 1/5 block pressed tofu into the mushroom mixture.
- Add garlic, soy sauce, and mushroom powder to the tofu mushroom mixture and stir until combined.
- Set mixture aside to marinade for 5-10 minutes.
- While the mixture is marinating, heat a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushroom tofu mixture to the pan and let it cook for about 10-20 minutes, stirring periodically. Cook until most of the water has evaporated from the mixture and it has a crumbly texture.
- Mix the green onions into the mushroom tofu mixture and allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- While the mixture is cooling, prepare a small bowl of water and your dumpling wrappers.
- Take about 1-2 tablespoons of dumpling filling and place it in the center of a dumpling wrapper. Gently wet the edge of the dumpling wrapper, and begin to fold it. As you fold, create small pleats by pinching the edges of the wrapper together to seal the dumpling.
- Repeat this step until all your dumplings are formed.
- Air fry the dumplings for 7 minutes at 360 degrees. If you don’t have an air fryer, you can steam your dumplings in a steamer basket for about 8 minutes, or panfry them until golden brown.
- Serve the finished dumplings as an appetizer, or a side dish for an amazing asian inspired feast!