Healthy Oatmeal Energy Bites
When I’m at college I rely heavily on the power of snacks to get me through my day. While cookies are my preferred snack, some days I crave something a little more filling. That’s where my healthy oatmeal bites come in handy. Packed with fiber from the oats and natural sweetened with dates and raisins, these bites provide a sustained energy perfect for getting me through those late night classes. The bites have a pleasant chewy texture that pairs perfectly with a nice hot cup of tea. I hope you enjoy them!
1 tbs chia (mixed with 2 1/2 tbs water)
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup oat bran (or more rolled oats)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup dates (with 2 tbs water)
1 cup apple sauce
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Start by combining 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 2 1/2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Give the mixture a good stir, and set it aside to thicken while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Take the 1 1/2 cups of rolled oats and the 1/2 cup oat bran and add to a food processor or blender. Blend on high until the oats are the consistency of flour.
- Add the blended oats to a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 2 teaspoons cinnamon to the bowl and stir until combined.
- Add 1/2 cup dates and 2 tablespoons of water to a food processor or blender. Blend on high until the dates form a thick paste. Add the paste to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the 1 cup apple sauce and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract to the bowl and stir.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring until the two mixtures are combined.
- Gently fold the 1/2 cup raisins into the mixture.
- Form the mixture into cookies and place them on a large baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies in the over for 10-12 minutes.
- When the cookies are done they can be stored in the fridge for later, or enjoyed immediately with a nice hot cup of tea. Enjoy!