Hearty Vegan Goulash
Growing up, goulash was a cornerstone of my diet. I can remember my mom making it at least once a week. If you have never had goulash before, its kind of like a lazy version of lasagna. I wanted to recreate the easy yet tasty feeling of the goulash that I ate as a child but using all vegan ingredients. This recipe is packed with the yummy flavors of italian food and simple to assemble. I hope you give this version of goulash a try!
Prep time: 15 minutes Total Time: 50-60 minutes Serves: 2
1/2 a medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 cup pasta
1 block extra firm tofu (pressed)
2 tbs vegan worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Vegan cheese (homemade or store-bought)*
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the oven is preheating, heat a medium pot on the stove.
- Cook the onion and garlic until the onion is beginning to turn clear.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes and stir. Allow to cook for 20-30 minutes.
- Boil a large pot of water on the stove.
- Once the water has boiled, add the pasta and cook according to the packaging. drain and set aside.
- Place a large pan on the stove.
- When the pan is hot, crumble your block of firm tofu into the pan.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder to the tofu.
- Cook the tofu for about 10 minutes until it begins to brown. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the sauce and cooked pasta to the tofu and stir until combined.
- Scoop the mixture into oven safe dishes and top with your favorite vegan cheese.
- Bake the dishes in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.