These stuffed mushrooms are the perfect appetizer to share with vegan and non vegan friends. With creamy cashews and chewy faro, this recipe has an addicting quality that makes it a natural crowd pleaser. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 45-60 minutes Serves: 2-3
1/4 cup cooked faro
*2 tbs cashew cream
**2 tbs minced shallot
1 clove of garlic
5-7 large mushrooms
1 cup spinach leaves
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1-2 tsp fresh or dried spices (parsley, rosemary, oregano, etc.)***
*If faro is not available, you could substitute brown rice, quinoa, or any other grain you have handy.
**Cashew cream is a basic blend of soaked cashews and water. A more detailed recipe can be found here: https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-the-ultimate-vegan-cashew-cream-242648
***I used a combination of fresh parsley and dried rosemary, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (If you’re using an air fryer, skip this step.)
- Cook your faro and allow it to cool.
- If you don’t have any on hand already, prepare the cashew cream.
- Cut the stems of your mushrooms off, and mince them.
- Mince your shallot and garlic.
- Add the mushroom stems, shallot, and garlic to a pan and cook over medium high heat until the onions have started to turn clear.
- Once the mixture is mostly cooked, add the spinach.
- When the spinach has wilted, remove the mixture from the heat and transfer it into a small bowl. Allow the mixture to cool.
- Add the cashew cream, lemon juice, and spices to the mixture. Stir to combine.
- Gently spoon the mixture into the tops of the mushrooms, creating a domed shape.
- Bake the mushrooms at 350 degrees for 15-25 minutes, or air fry the mushrooms at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Serve the mushrooms on their own as an appetizer, or with fresh vegetables for a delicious healthy meal. Enjoy!